Here’s how our invitations began last weekend. First, we mismeasured the print bed on the gocco and designed our invitations to be larger than is possible. Since me (and a couple of wonderful friends) had already spent hours and hours tearing our paper down to size, we were stuck with the size of the invitations. We couldn’t just shrink our design to fit, because our design involved full on bleeds of patterns.
My fiance and I found ourselves sitting at the computer at midnight, doing a redesign.
We also had a defective gocco bulb, a typo on the reception cards which we found only after we had started printing, too little ink, too few bulbs, and an unhappy surprise when my aqua colored ink turned out to be metallic and the yellow turned out to be orange.
In case you’re keeping score, that’s:
6 wasted bulbs
3 wasted screens
2 wasted sheets of our beautiful paper
LOTS of wasted ink
and, invitations: 0
However, we are not easily discouraged. On Sunday morning we made some minor adjustments to our new design, put in an overnight order for more gocco supplies, and actually printed all of our reception cards (above). Happy day! Then, last night, we started our second layer and it went perfectly.
I think we’re still going to meet our deadline. Nine days to go; seven more layers to print.
We can do this and we will be gocco-pros at the end! I’m so excited!