diy for the birds, with downloadable template (now including rice template)

There are a few wedding traditions that I’m intentionally ignoring, but throwing rice is one I really like. Since rice gets slippery, and the “modern” bubble blowing is not my style, and sparklers get a bit scary after all your friends have had a few drinks and are too eager to say goodbye… we decided to go with birdseed. Instead of having our guests toss birdseed at us after the reception, we’re going to do it post-ceremony and pre-family photos.

I bought a bunch of glassine bags from uline, and designed labels that go with our invitation suite. I printed and cut out the labels at home (on cardstock), then we did a quick and easy zig-zag stitch on my sewing machine to hold the bag closed and attach the label. Once the labels were cut, and with help from a couple friends, we knocked this project out in a couple hours.

Here it is, step by step:

Download Birdseed Layout File*

or, Download the Rice File*

cut them up

fill the bags

a double fold is prettier

zig zag stitch, then snip off the ends of the thread

and voila!

[You can find bigger photos on the Mint flickr page.]

*please note these files are for peronal use only and are copyright ellie snow.

47 Responses to “diy for the birds, with downloadable template (now including rice template)”

sandra

March 14, 2009 at 7:45 pm

this is so cute! and not as wasteful as using rice. but one question – will you end up w/ birds/pigeons flying around to eat the stuff? that could be disastrous. and gross.

ellie

March 14, 2009 at 9:09 pm

I used the 2 3/4 x 4 1/4″ size from Uline.

And Sandra – hahaha. No, no birds will fly around – there will be a couple hundred people and I don’t think they will be that brave. The toss and run thing happens so quickly, you know. Then afterwards, the staff at the church will sweep it all up.

If that happened, it would definitely be gross… and also I’m sure it would have no chance of becoming the wedding tradition that it is!

WL

March 17, 2009 at 2:38 am

Hi! I love this idea and want to do it for my own ceremony but I prefer the old-fashioned rice and wanted to replace the word Birdseed with Rice:). I was wondering if I could ask you for the non-pdf format of the template? If you could email me, I’d be so grateful.

Sarah

May 5, 2009 at 11:38 am

I love this idea. I am planning on using lavender buds–would it be possible to get the template in Word so I can change Birdseed to Lavender? Thank you so much, your ideas are wonderful!!

ellie

May 8, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Hi Sarah – The template can’t be converted to Word, since it uses Mac fonts – which I actually can’t distribute for copyright reasons. I’m sorry! I think throwing lavender is a great idea!

Anonymous

June 21, 2009 at 11:27 am

This is really cute. Only think is, birdseed is very small and round. If the guests throw birdseed at the couple, it could easily get in the bride or groom’s ear and destroy their hearing.

I know it sounds unlikely, but it can happen with rice (google Juliet Gordon Low) and I wonder if the probability of such a thing happening would increase with birdseed as it’s smaller.

But besides that, I have to say that I really love the idea of creating these cute little packs to fill with something else. <3

Ashley

August 5, 2009 at 10:27 am

Hi Ellie – Just wanted to let you know that I’ve been following your blog for a while and LOVE it! Also – I made these birdseed packets (which slight variation) for my wedding and they turned out so cute and the toss was lots of fun! Thanks so much for sharing this project :)

Laurie

March 15, 2010 at 11:21 am

i love the birdseed idea, however when i try to print it it comes out very smal, it looks bigger in the pictures I was just wondering is there a way to print it bigger? I tried zooming in and that didn’t help.

JenL

September 8, 2010 at 11:29 pm

So, so, so cute!
FYI some churches and wedding locations require that you bake the seeds so they don’t sprout later. It could mess with the landscaping. It’s really easy to do–spread the seeds out on a jelly roll pan and put it in the oven. It smells like bread baking. Ask your location what their policy is on throwing seeds/rice. Some places forbid it.

Katie

February 18, 2013 at 8:16 pm

This is so neat and I would love to use this idea at my wedding! I just have to find a way to make it have a purple border. I’m trying to make my own, but I love you’re font so much more!