Kitchen Originals: Easy Yogurt Cake

13_6_19_yogurtcake_2

This recipe isn’t original to me, but it’s one well worth sharing. Since becoming pregnant, I’ve only picked up one “pregnancy” book. For one reason or another, they scare me. But I also have this tendency to go rogue when presented with new situations. I like to discover things on my own. And that was my approach towards pregnancy as well until Ellie posted about Bringing Up Bébé—a book documenting an American mother raising her children in France. It peeked my interest right away. In the book, Pamela Druckerman notes that french parents begin cooking with their children from an early age. She captured my attention. Gâteau au Yaourt, yogurt cake, weekly graces the tables of many french homes, often made by tiny little hands. I think this will be the first cake my little nugget and I make together. It’s incredibly easy, very adaptable, with just enough sweetness.

—Melissa

13_6_19_yogurtcake

Yogurt Cake
lightly adapted from Bringing Up Bébé, yields one 9-inch cake

Side note: The original recipe uses a 6 oz. yogurt container as the measuring utensil, making it easy for kids. If you are unable to find yogurt in this size, use a 3/4 cup measuring utensil in the same way. This cake is very versatile. Add spices, fruit, or chocolate chips to the mix of the cake. Top with easy-to-make, lightly sweetened crème fraîche or serve plain. I think an infused simple syrup painted across on the cake after baking would be divine. The serving options are endless with this cake.

2 six-ounce containers of plain whole-milk yogurt (not greek)
2 large eggs
2 containers sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 container oil
4 containers all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. aluminum-free baking powder
several dashes of sea salt

Garnish (optional)
crème fraîche, store bought or homemade, lightly sweetened
fruit, lightly sweetened with sugar to release juices (apricots pictured)
fresh mint
cacao nibs

1. Preheat oven to 375°. Line bottom of 9-inch cake pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together yogurt, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and oil until evenly combined.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and sea salt.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Stir together until just incorporated, being careful not to overmix. Overmixing will yield a tough cake.
5. Bake for 35 minutes or until springy to the tough. The cake is naturally very white in color when baked.
6. Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove and continue cooling on a rack. Garnish just before serving.

9 Responses to “Kitchen Originals: Easy Yogurt Cake”

Claire

June 19, 2013 at 11:23 am

Would you need to change anything to make this recipe as cupcakes? Looks delicious! Love how customizable it is!

Cait

June 22, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I had all the ingredients on hand, so I figured I would give it a try. In an effort to minimize clean-up I mixed it all in one bowl, instead of combining the dry ingredients separately, and it seemed like quite a bit of batter, so I made is in a 9×12 pan instead.

It is quite tasty, not too sweet, and very simple. I topped it with some strawberry sauce I threw together with some strawberries I had in my freezer, a splash of balsamic and a little bit of sugar. The cake sopped it all up quite well!

ellie

June 22, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Hi Dixyal —
This recipe uses a 6 oz. yogurt container as the measuring utensil, making it easy for kids. You could replace the yogurt container with a 3/4 cup measuring utensil in the same way.
Claire — I don’t think you’d need to change a thing!
Cait — So glad to hear it was a success!

Ashley

June 29, 2013 at 10:53 am

This looks absolutely stunning! I love fruit and yogurt, and if you turn them into a cake… well that’s just extra awesome :)

Mimi

July 1, 2013 at 12:48 am

I’ve been wanting to make this cake ever since reading the book a few months back. Thanks for posting and reminding me! Question- what brand yogurt do you use. I can never find small containers of plain whole milk yogurt, usually only low fat. Would it make a difference? thanks!

Melissa // the faux martha

July 1, 2013 at 10:47 am

Hey Mimi—I used StonyField but also had trouble finding it in small containers. I ended up going with a big container. You can try using a low fat version, however, it may yield different results. Anytime you lower the fat content of a baking recipe, you run a risk of it not turning out as well (something I’ve learned from experience one too many times :) ) Let me know what you think about the cake!

Melissa Perry

July 4, 2013 at 10:47 am

Hi Sharon! The container is the 6oz yogurt container, or you could use 3/4 cup.